Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
Scientific Project Staff / Doctoral Candidate at the Department of Integrative Zoology
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.600 members of staff, about 92.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.04.2019 of a
Scientific Project Staff / Doctoral Candidate
at the Department of Integrative Zoology
Reference number: 9349
Announcement of a 3-year position, with possible extension of a 4th year, in the working group of Thomas Schwaha at the Department of Integrative Zoology to be filled approximately April 2019 (slightly flexible). The position is part of a research grant of the FWF, the Austrian Science Fund, recently granted to T. Schwaha.
The research project deals with the evolution of Phylactolaemata, a group of freshwater bryozoans. The aim of the project is to create a new phylogeny based on transcriptomes of twelve different species belonging to the six families of phylactolaemates. In addition to new phylogenetic tree, the morphology of several organ systems will be studied in order to reconstruct character evolution within the Phylactolaemata, but also reconstruct the ground pattern of the clade.
The focus of the announced position will be on the morphological part of the project. In the course of the project, the applicant will also be involved in the molecular parts of the project. We are looking for a motivated student with a strong morphological background, particularly transmission electron microscopy is of advantage.
Participation in research
- Presentations in seminars and scientific meetings
- writing scientific publications
- integration into the working group
Morphological analysis of phylactolaemates:
- Analysis of muscle and nervous system of selected species
- Reconstruction of the lophophoral base structure in all 6 major families
- Analysis of body wall and ectocyst structure
- Character coding and matrix creation
- Professional competence in animal morphology
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- basic IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team
Desirable qualifications are
- Knowledge of animal morphology
- Methodological experience in morphological research (electron microscopy, CLSM, 3D reconstruction)
- Experience in scientific presentations and writing of publications
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and qualification for the project
- Curriculum vitae
- 1-2 scientific references (e.g. previous supervisors, teachers, etc.)
- List of publications (if available)
- Degree certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Biology, Botany, Zoology
Very good knowledge
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 28.02.2019, mentioning reference number 9349.
For further information please contact Schwaha, Thomas +43-1-4277-76316.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.