Bitte beachten Sie: Diese Stellenanzeige ist nicht mehr aktiv.
Entdecken Sie hier weitere Stellenanzeigen auf academics, dem führenden Stellenmarkt für Wissenschaft und Forschung. Um regelmäßig per E-Mail über passende Stellen informiert zu werden, können Sie sich jederzeit kostenlos registrieren.
Senior Scientist at the Department of Astrophysics
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.800 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.07.2020 of a
at the Department of Astrophysics
Reference number: 10807
The Department of Astrophysics forms part of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy at the University of Vienna. Presently about 70 employees work at the department. We seek an outstanding scientist for the supervision of scientific projects in the framework of international co-operations; further activities include research and teaching. The position should be filled at the earliest possible date (but not before 1 July 2020; later is possible).
In mutual agreement there might be the possibility to extend the duration of employment. Lateron, and as well in mutual agreement, there might even be the possibility to make the employment permanent.
The position is vacant for the period of absence of a member of staff.
The tasks conform to the collective agreement of the universities §26(2) and (5); they comprise as the main activities
1) scientific co-supervision of project participations in the framework of international co-operations, and direct scientific involvement in these projects (e.g., in working groups, science teams, access to observations). They include in particular ongoing programs and projects under development for ESA missions (presently CHEOPS, PLATO, ARIEL, SMILE, Athena, and projects in preparation) and ground-based observatories (in particular METIS for the ESO ELT, and the MARVEL telescope array). Special tasks include the participation in international consortium and/or collaboration meetings, contributions to preparatory studies and documents, (co-)organisation of meetings, budget administration for projects, and correspondence with funding agencies.
2) research within the research focus "planetary habitability" of the star and planet formation group of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Manuel Güdel, including topics like the characterization of exoplanets and their potential for habitability, the interaction of (exo-)planetary atmospheres with the planetary environment (solar/stellar radiation, particles, and winds), and the modeling of planetary upper atmospheres, independently and in international science co-operations. This also includes support for related organisational and administrative matters (budgets, organisation of meetings).
Further tasks include,
3) conducting independent teaching as defined by the collective agreement and organising exams
4) supervision/co-supervision of students
5) contributions to general organisational and administrative tasks as well as evaluation procedures
The specific tasks can be adjusted to ongoing and new projects.
Profile: - doctoral degree in astronomy or astrophysics - several years of experience in astrophysical research and in large astronomical Projects - knowledge of programming languages, e.g. Fortran, C, C++, Python, etc. - excellent command of written and spoken English
- good team-working ability - excellent communication skills - experience in student supervision
Applications should include a motivation letter, a CV, a publication list, a summary of past research (max. 3 pages), and a description of proposed research (max. 2 pages).
Main research field
Special research fields
Physics, Mechanics, Astronomy
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 16.06.2020, mentioning reference number 10807.
For further information please contact Güdel, Manuel +43-1-4277-53814.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.