University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department of Astrophysics
Veröffentlicht am(vor 11 Tagen)
The University of Vienna (19 faculties and centres, 178 fields of study, approx. 9.600 members of staff, about 92.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.03.2019 of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Department of Astrophysics
Reference number: 9292
The Department of Astrophysics at the University of Vienna offers a University Assistant (prae doc) position within the extragalactic group of Prof. Bodo Ziegler for 4 years starting March 1st, 2019 or in a timely manner later by agreement.
This position is for PhD research work in the field of physical parameters of galaxies and their evolution. Important aspects are galaxy kinematics and structure, stellar populations and star formation. The exact topic will be fixed at the time of formation of the contract to guarantee flexibility and timeliness. However, the main source for the investigations will be observational data, in particular spectroscopy in the optical/NIR wavelength regime for high-redshift galaxies. For example, (proprietary) spectroscopic data are available from ESO-VLT (FORS, VIMOS, KMOS) that are suitable for studies of kinematical and chemical evolution.
Participation in research, teaching and administration. This involves:
- Participation in research projects / research studies
- Participation in publications / academic articles / presentations
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Involvement in the organisation of meetings, conferences, symposiums
- Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Master's / Diploma degree in Astrophysics or a related subject
- Profound knowledge of all astronomical and astrophysical topics on the master's or diploma degree level
- Experience in reduction of spectra and their analysis (this will be a main criterion in the selection process)
- Basic knowledge of astronomical software, in particular for reduction of spectra (required)
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Teaching experience / experience of working with e-learning
- IT user skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Degree certificates
Main research field
Special research fields
Physics, Mechanics, Astronomy
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 30.01.2019, mentioning reference number 9292.
For further information please contact Ziegler, Bodo +43-1-4277-53825.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Um unsere Webseite optimal gestalten und fortlaufend verbessern zu können, verwenden wir Cookies. Durch die weitere Nutzung der Webseite stimmen Sie der Verwendung von Cookies zu. Weitere Informationen sowie Hinweise dazu, wie Sie die Speicherung der Cookies verhindern können, finden Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.