University Assistant (prae doc) at the Department of Philosophy
The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 179 fields of study, approx. 10.000 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (prae doc)
at the Department of Philosophy
Reference number: 12408
The advertised position is located at the Department of Philosophy, which is part of the Faculty of Philosophy and Education. The Department of Philosophy at the University of Vienna is large in international comparison and its members are active within a considerable variety of research areas. The department furthermore offers a range of courses reflecting the breadth of the fields of philosophy while upholding the highest standards within each specialized subject area. Special focus is placed on gaining insight and developing competences in order to contribute to the discussion of current philosophical problems. This intention to acknowledge new philosophical developments and tasks is reflected in a number of co-operations and research fields of the department.
The announcement is made for four years, whereby the employment relationship is initially limited to 1.5 years and is automatically extended to a total of four years, unless the employer submits a declaration of non-renewal after a maximum of 12 months.
The Department of Philosophy is looking for a praedoctoral researcher to work in (joint) projects with Univ.-Prof. Dr. Hans Bernhard Schmid, Professor of Political Philosophy and Social Philosophy. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Hans Bernhard Schmid’s areas of specialization include, among others, Social Ontology, Social Philosophy, Philosophy of the Social Sciences.
The successful candidate will participate in the department’s research, teaching (to the extent regulated by the collective bargaining agreement) and administration. In particular, the candidate is expected to conduct, and/or participate in, research projects leading to internationally visible publications and presentations.
Active participation in research, teaching and administration, including:
- Participation in collaborative research projects
- Internationally visible publications and presentations
- Participation in the organization of conferences/workshops/symposia/lecture series, including coordinating roles
- Acting as an assistant manager of the Journal of Social Ontology
- Writing a doctoral dissertation in one of the above-mentioned research areas
- We expect the successful candidate to sign a doctoral thesis agreement in the dissertation field of Philosophy within 12-18 months.
- Participation in teaching and independent teaching of courses as defined by the collective agreement
- Supervision of students
- Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
- Academic services such as active involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
- Successfully completed Master’s degree in philosophy
- Outstanding performance in your university studies
- Research focus in one of the following fields: Social Philosophy, Political Philosophy, Social Ontology, Philosophy of the Social Sciences
- High ability to express yourself both orally and in writing
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- IT user skills
- Organizational and teamwork skills
Desirable qualifications are - Teaching experience / experience of working with e-learning
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience abroad
- Basic experience in research methods and academic writing
- Experience of supervising students
- Good German language skills or willingness to acquire German language skills sufficient for teaching in the Bachelor's program
Application documents: (all application documents should be submitted in English or German) - Letter of motivation
- Academic curriculum vitae
- List of publications, evidence of teaching experience (if available)
- Short doctoral thesis project proposal (2000 words max.)
- Degree certificates (Graduation certificates and diplomas)
- Two letters of recommendation
Main research field
Special research fields
Social philosophy;Political philosophy
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (
http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 07.12.2021, mentioning reference number 12408.
For further information please contact Krobath, Katherina Geneviève +43-1-4277-46401.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (
http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.